Friday, April 7, 2017

DAY OFF = CAR TRIP


I got 2 days off, on Thursday we went here.........

 

 What's "here'" you ask. It's The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla. We haven't been in over 20+years. The last time it was a small space with a dirt parking lot. Major improvement. We went because of this.....

 

I wanted to do over Christmas break, but we went to California instead.

 

 Oh. look, there's me standing in front of the entrance wall of flowers. One of these days The Doctor is going to learn how to take a better photo of me.

The exhibit had paintings, photos (some I've never seen before) and home movies for Frida and Diego. Also pages from her diary, which I  have a book version that was published by Abrams in 1995.

Diary page


 

Diary page


 

Diary page


 

Henry Ford Hospital, 1932

Flower of Life, 1944

 

A Few Small Nips, 1935


 

The Deceased Dimas, 1937

 

My Nurse And I, 1937

 

The Broken Column, 1944

 

Self-Portrait With Small Monkey, 1945

 There were some other paintings, but lots of people were also enjoying them and I don't like to have strangers in my photos.

 

 

This mirror bubble thing was in the hallway. That's us on the right.

On the other side of the museum was the Dali area, which will be the next post.

I forgot that St. Petersburg is sort of close (3 1/2 hours south) so it made for a long day trip. Well worth it. The museum moved to the fancy new building in 2011. It was packed with all kinds of people. It's really wonderful to see that art museums are being visited. When we went to the SFMOMA over Christmas, it was also full of people enjoying the art. Man, maybe there's hope after, all that people are fighting back against the dumbing down of culture.





3 comments:

  1. Green with envy! the exhibition looks spectacular and the gallery absolutely breathtaking.
    That's a lovely photo of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a long day trip is the plan that finally gets us there! There are more than a dozen such delightful day trip destinations near my home. Perhaps this is the summer I'll simply climb in the car and... Taft Museum, here I come!

    ReplyDelete